Slow cooker cabbage rolls are a fabulous and delicious comfort food.
When this week’s Sunday Supper theme was announced as Mom’s favorite recipes I knew right away what I was going to post. I even had the pictures already taken.
If I were to ask Mama what her favorite food was she’d say anything I cook but I know these slow cooker cabbage rolls are a definite favorite of hers.
I first made these eight years or so ago. I had tried other cabbage roll recipes but we weren’t impressed. These were tasty and easier than other ones I had made.
We always eat these with mashed potatoes because the resulting gravy tastes amazing over potatoes.
- 1 head of cabbage with large outer leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 envelope of onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 large egg
- Black pepper to taste
- 48 ounce bottle vegetable juice cocktail, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Bring a couple of inches of water to a boil
- Core the cabbage and carefully peel 12 or so leaves off the head
- Place two to three leaves at a time in the water and cook for two to three minutes or until tender
- Remove and set aside
- Cut the thick vein out of each leaf
- Combine the ground beef, rice, onion soup mix, cheese, egg, black pepper and 1 cup of the vegetable juice cocktail in a large bowl
- Place 1/3 cup of the mixture on a leaf and roll up
- Layer the rolls and slices of onion in the slow cooker
- Carefully pour the remaining vegetable juice cocktail over the rolls
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours